• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 1, 2016

    TV Bahus break the stereotype: we are not our onscreen characters in real life

    TV's Tulsis and Parvatis were once upon a time careful to keep up the image even in public - but that's changed, with TV actresses putting up pics of their real, more liberal selves online. However, they say audiences can't always handle the difference.

    The usually demure TV bahus, who are either dressed in elaborate saris or anarkalis on the small screen, are flaunting their glam avatars on social media. For some, it's about showing their "real side" to their fans, while others post their pictures to remain in the public eye even after their show ends. But their effort is often met with some flak from those who aren't willing to accept them in their 'modern' avatar.

    Recently, things turned ugly for TV's Parvati, Sonarika Bhadoria, when she posted her pictures from Mauritius, where she is shooting for a film. Some people slammed her for wearing 'revealing outfits' after playing a goddess on screen. Actors say people need to understand that they are not the character they play on TV and they should accept them that way.

    Actresses want to break away from their image
    Actor Sehban Azim says, "Earlier, actresses were supposed to be in character all the time. But now, everyone is active on social media. Earlier, if they attended a public event, they had to dress up like their character. These things were written in their contracts. Now, actresses have started saying no to such restrictions. As actors, we don't want to be stereotyped."

    More avenues open up for us
    Nia Sharma , whose character in Jamai Raja recently had a glam makeover, says, "Social media helps you break free from your onscreen image. Through my pictures and my comments, people get to know about my sense of humour. In fact, now I am also getting a lot of other offers."
    Sehban adds, "You develop a youth connect through social media. Youngsters might not be watching your show, but they see your pictures. Casting directors also sometimes look at social media profiles to cast for their films."

    Audience's perception has changed
    Arti Singh, who is currently seen in Waaris, says, "If I'm attending a party, I wear what I want to. Earlier, the show makers didn't allow you to make your glam pictures public. Now, people have started understanding that we are not our reel characters."

    Still have to deal with online bashing
    Aasiya Kazi, who played Ganga in 'Balika Vadhu', hasn't had a pleasant experience online. She says, "Our fans are used to seeing us in a particular way. I've had people who've posted nasty comments for my online pictures. When I went to Goa, I wore sleeveless tops. I had people writing that they wanted to see me in desi outfits. I had to block those who were troubling me online."

    When a show is running, channels want you to maintain your image even on social media. But such restrictions go away once your character becomes popular. - Tinaa Dattaa, who played Icchha and Meethi in Uttaran


    I put up my pics online... people learn what kind of person I am in real life. But there are haters too. I make them understand that I have more aspects to my personality. Earlier, you had to maintain your TV image. Now, channels have accepted the change; they don't promote sari-clad bahus anymore - Hina Khan , Akshara of 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai'


    Look at Mouni Roy . She's as good as any Bollywood actress. Divyanka Tripathi has over 1 million followers on Instagram. Because of these girls, TV has attained a cool quotient now. Pehle sirf ladke cool hote thay, like Iqbal Khan, for instance. TV actors now have a lifestyle like that of their Bollywood counterparts - Karan Kundra


    I got dirty and abusive remarks for my pics... I am not Parvati in real life


    Sonarika Bhadoria, who played Parvati in Devon Ke Dev Mahadev, had to face a lot of negative comments for the pictures she posted on Instagram. She told us, "I received dirty and abusive comments for my pictures. People got really personal and they even tagged my mother and brother. They should understand that what I do on screen is my profession. I am not Parvati in real life. The show ended some two years ago and if people are clinging on to that image, it won't work. The internet gives people the power to vent their frustration and they feel that they won't be caught. Even when I was a part of the show, my producers never had a problem with what I did on social media. Every guy I know has a bare-bodied picture as their profile picture and nobody cares. But when an actress does it, they call her names."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment